1. The Fruitville Road Target will celebrate the completion of the store's remodel on Sunday, as just about everyone in the store's territory received a coupon for a free dozen eggs from the store to entice customers to stop by. (Coupon is good Sunday through July 2.)
Most departments have changed locations to make way for an expanded groceries department featuring meat, frozen foods, pre-packaged bakery items and produce. And there's a Starbucks beside the Target Cafe now, too. Target boasts that the increase in food is 40 percent at the store and about 90 percent of the categories that a Super Target offers.
Lower shelves and wider aisles are in the store, too, along with more seating and mirrors.
The baby department has broadened the visibility between baby gear, supplies and apparel.
2. Florida Studio Theatre's Comedy Improv season kicks off Monday through Sept. 1 at the Goldstein Cabaret. You never know what will happen at each show as characters and sketches are made up on the go. Tickets are $12, which is the only part about the production that is set in stone. You can also find FST Improv on Facebook.
3. WSLR's Maternally Yours landed an exclusive interview with Maya Angelou that will air at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 26. You can listen to it on 96.5 FM or at wslr.org.
Angelou will discuss her Maya Angelou Center for Women’s Health and Wellness in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, which opens June 28. Laura Gilkey, who interviewed Angelou on behalf of her co-hostesses Ryan Stanley, Carmela Pedicini and Cheryl Kindred, also asked Dr. Angelou about racial disparity, her sources of support and health inspiration, the Midwives Model of Care, and her personal reflection on the birth of her son and on motherhood.
4. Thinking you or your partner should get tested? HIV-AIDS Network of Southwest Florida will offer free HIV testing to the public in Sarasota as part of the national HIV testing campaign. Community AIDS Network will offer free testing with same-day results from 5 to 8 p.m. at Bethele CME Church, 1719 St. 22nd St. Sarasota County Health Department will provide free testing with same-day results from 8:30 a.m. to noon Wednesay, June 27 at the Health Department.
Additionally, on Tuesday, June 26, from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. free HIV testing will be available at the Planned Parenthood health center at 736 Central Ave. in Sarasota.
5. The Suncoast Boat Grand Prix kicks off Saturday with a high-end party where tickets cost $100 per person at the Municipal Auditorium.
The party features The Greg Billings Band, has casino-style gaming, an open bar, food stations and a silent auction all from 6 p.m. to midnight.
For those on a budget, there's the Boat and Personal Watercraft Fun Run on Sunday. You can watch from the Bearded Clam Waterfront Restaurant & Tiki Bar at the Ramada Inn. Stay tuned because next weekend the big events start. For a full schedule, visit www.suncoastoffshore.org/events.php.