Sarasota's prom season kicks off Friday with Riverview High School leading the way with its dance at The Ritz-Carlton.
AAA Auto Club has the following tips for parents to help teens get home safely during prom season.
- Don’t assume all parents share your values and will monitor your teen’s actions as you would expect. Exchange phone numbers and talk with other parents and your teen’s friends to ensure ample communication.
- Talk with your teen about a safe ride home, prom rules, and the consequences for breaking the rules before they attend any prom festivities.
- Take an inventory of alcohol and prescription drugs in your home and secure them if hosting a prom party.
- If renting a limo, check their policy on allowing alcohol in the vehicle and talk with the limo driver about your expectations for the evening.
- Set a reasonable curfew for the evening and let your teen know you will wait up for them to return home.