Last Minute Mother's Day Gift Ideas
Need to come up with something quick to impress your mom? Check out these Mother's Day gift ideas.
We all know why you're here. It's late Saturday night and you just realized you need to do something for mom for Mother's Day.
If you're thinking brunch or dinner, many seatings are sold out in the area and most restaurants will be busier than usual.
Here are some events and ideas to try for Sunday:
• Mom needs a new play pal, but not another grandkid? How about adopting a cat. Cat Depot will be open for Mother's Day and the non-profit shelter is running a special where with each adopted cat, you will receive a soft bed and certificate for one year of nail trims (value $200). All moms who stop in will receive a free flower, too. And you can enter mom for a chance to win a massage, too. Cat Depot is located at 2542 17th St, Sarasota.
• Mom loves to sing along and see a show? There are still a few tickets left to a 2 p.m. performance of Blackbird: The Josephine Baker Story at Westcoast Black Theatre Troupe. Tickets are available online or by calling the box office at (941) 366-1505. The musical follows the early life of Josephine Baker from Jim Crow America to Paris in the 1920s. It is presented in "pure musical comedy style.” Tickets cost $28. The theater is located at 1646 10th Way.
• Be charming and take mom out for a picnic on Siesta Beach. Go now, find a stylish basket you'll give her as a gift, place a bottle of her favorite wine inside, grab an umbrella and head to the grocery store to get some lunch meat and cheeses and find some fresh flowers to complete the setting. Probably a good idea to bring a folding table or card table, a tablecloth and a couple of camping chairs if she's more about the experience than dipping into the Gulf.
• Take mom to Mote Marine Aquarium for free. Moms get free admission when her child pays his or her own way. Moms also get a 10-percent discount in the gift shop on most purchases. Admission prices are $17 for adults, $16 for seniors, $12 for kids ages 4-12. Kids 3 and younger get in free. Mote is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 1600 Ken Thompson Parkway.
• Yoga with mom for free at Rosemary Court Yoga. Rosemary Court Yoga will offer free classes to all levels and designed to help mom relax. The first session is from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., and a kids yoga class will also be offered during the same time. At 2:30 p.m., moms will be pampered with chair massages being offered, and other activities including a cranial release technique, acupuncture, hair styling, professional eyebrow shaping, a playtime area for little ones at the Rosemary Birthing Home, a carved fruit platter and a lululemon athletica trunk show. Rosemary Court Yoga is located at 810 Central Ave.
Good luck and Happy Mother's Day!