Weekend Things: Hip-Hop You Don't Stop
Double dose of hip-hop in Sarasota this weekend with Matisyahu on Saturday and Ringling Underground tonight.
1. Sarasota Music Scene spotted quite a gig for the indie rap crowd in Sarasota coming Saturday. Rapper, and proud Hasidic Jew, Matisyahu will perform an acoustic set at Sailor Circus. Tickets are $36 and $18 for students with ID. The concert is organized by the Jewish Federation and Chris Alexander.
2. We're not done yet with hip-hop. Ringling Underground returns tonight with a Hip-Hop theme from 7 to 10 p.m. in the Ringling Museum courtyard.
Bands include Geno n’ Skunk Boogie, Big Blu House featuring Sota & Yungn and a graffiti jam.
Free for Students from Florida State University, New College of Florida, Ringling College of Art and Desgin, State College of Florida and University of South Florida with ID; $5 other College Students with ID & ages 6-17 and $10 Adults.
3. If you're more in the protest mood, the ACLU and Occupy Sarasota are hosting a Chalk for Freedom Rally at Five Points Park at 4:30 p.m. tonight in response to the Occupy Sarasota arrest over the weekend.
4. Van Wezel has a slew of shows this weekend starting with comedian Lily Tomlin tonight at 8 ($30 to $60), The Pink Floyd Experience at 8 p.m. Friday ($10 to $50) and "A Jew Grows in Brooklyn" Sunday at 7 p.m. ($10 to $50).
5. New Music New College's Crossroads smashes up rock and roll and Sarasota Orchestra on Friday and Saturday at the PepsiCo Arcade, 5313 Bay Shore Road. Concert tickets are $15 each and can be reserved online.
Friday 8 p.m.: Inspiration: Fluid Motion pays homage to Sam Rivers
Saturday, 8 p.m. Fluid Motion, Sarasota Orchestra musicians, New College students, NMNC Director Stephen Miles, and NMNC Technical Producer R. L. Silver
Panel Discussion: “The Politics of Race and American Experimental Music" Saturday 3 p.m., Sainer Pavilion (free)