1. Going to all those movies at the doesn't leave much time for eating a full meal unless it consists of Raisinettes and Snow Caps. But the well timed Ringling Picnic Spring Fling will offer a quick, filling option from 5 to 10 p.m. Friday at Links Avenue and Ringling Boulevard, just a short walk from the . That's six food trucks, palm readers, beer provided by Evie's Tavern, music and hoop demos. For more info, or visit www.ringlingpicnic.com.
2. Let the kids (and adults, too) play with some big toys at the 16th annual Big Truck Day at on Saturday.
The free event runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and welcomes kids climbing inside the cabs of dump trucks, fire trucks, pay loaders, buses and more, honking the horns (parents, bring ear plugs), pulling the leavers (watch out below) and anything else that satisfies curiosity and imagination. New this year includes monster dune buggies and the Florida Highway Patrol seatbelt rollover test.
3. Get your craft on at the Siesta Fiesta where Ocean Boulevard will be an outdoor craft gallery from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday on Siesta Key. Paintings, sculptures, photographs, mixed media and more will be available for sale at various booths. Ocean Boulevard will be closed to traffic starting at Ocean and Canal and running through to Beach Road.
4. More than 500 people will gather at on Saturday for the Sarasota Walk to Defeat ALS, commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. and the walk begins at 10 a.m. The event has a Suncoast connection, Kevin Swan, a Bradenton native and current Chicago resident, was told he had two to five years to live. The Bradenton native, and 2000 graduate of Southeast High School, was diagnosed with ALS. His team has already raised $50,000, making them The ALS Association’s top fundraisers in the State of Florida, and setting a record for the highest amount ever raised by a single team.
5. And if you couldn't tell from all the signs around town and the coverage on local news websites, the opens Friday. The opening night film Robot & Frank is at the at 7 p.m., and tickets are going fast.
In addition to the 235 movies, the festival announced that Penelope Ann Miller will be at the festival this year, Frank Langella will participate at a In Conversation interview and WWE superstars Kelly Kelly and Rey Mysterio, retired New York Giants legend Harry Carson, the Flying Wallendas and more will be on hand at various events. For tickets, visit the lobby or visit www.sarasotafilmfestival.com.
Keep up with What's Happening at the Sarasota Film Festival with Patch as we round up the latest news, tweets and more coming out of the events.