1. Handy with sand, shovel and a chisel? Show up to Siesta Beach early Saturday to compete in the Amateur Sand Sculpting Contest. It starts at 9 a.m., judging at 1 p.m. and winners announced at 2 p.m. Cash prizes are awarded for first, second and third place for each category, which includes adult humorous, adult miscellaneous and children 10 years old and younger and children 11 to 17 years old. Make sure you upload your photos of the competition to our Neighborhood Gallery.
2. Lakewood Ranch's Music on Main returns Friday from 6 to 9 p.m. and features Asolo Rep employees and Guild Members serving beer and wine where additional proceeds from food, beer and wine sales will be donated to the Asolo Rep Theatre Guild. Beer is sold for $3 a glass and wine is sold for $5 a glass. Chairs are welcome, but coolers are not. Remember to tip your bartender.
3. Rock out for a cause benefiting Cody Long Friday night at Robarts Arena. The 26-year-old Bradenton resident is battling Stage III testicular cancer that metastasized to his lymph nodes and lungs. He was diagnosed Jan. 14, and this concert is trying to pay for his medical bills. It's called the "No Worries" Cancer Benefit and features bands The Outlaws, The Michael Kach Group, Come Back Alice and Cowboy Keith Rich. Show up from 5 to 11 p.m. and pay $30 at the door or $25 in advance. There are also VIP tickets for $85 in advance and $100 at the door. Kids under 5 years old are $5. For more info, visit codylongbenefit.com.
4. The Cinco de Mayo and Taste of Latin America Festival returns Saturday from 5 to 11:30 p.m. on Main Street. The first-ever event is presented by the Gulf Coast Latin Chamber of Commerce and Bright House Networks. Live entertainment includes salsa, Latin jazz, dancers, food, raffles and more. Free admission. For more info, visit www.cincodemayosarasota.com.
5. Check out some well maintained hot rods at the Classic Corvette Car Show on St. Armands Circle Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Corvettes from 1953 to today will be on display, demonstrations will be available and Corvette talks will be offered and and trophies will be awarded at the show. Want to show off your Corvette? Registration is from 8 to 10 a.m. For more info, call 302-7778.