Hi! I'm Pip. My mom manages the Bayside Pet Resort and Spa on US 41 in Sarasota and I spend a lot of time there with my friends. I wanted to share these holiday tips with all of you pet lovers out there to make sure you keep us safe this holiday season!
Take it from me, if you like to climb like most of us, let your mom or dad know to secure the christmas tree so it doesn't tip and fall when we do what we love to do most! All those lights and decorations are just too tough to resist!
I will find water wherever it is, so make sure to keep your tree skirt tied at the tree to cover the water tray, which may contain fertilizers, bacteria that could upset my little tummy if I drink it.
My kitty friends have a very hard time resisting tinsel. The sparkling treat is easy to steal, play with and unfortunately, ingest. This can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It's probably best to find an alternative if you have a tinsel-loving kitty in the house. Ribbon, yarn and other small parts can also be a hazard to cats who love finding their toys on the tree. Kitty safe balls, catnip and other kitty safe toys are a great gift to your frisky felines and will hopefully keep them out of trouble.
Most of you already know not to feed us chocolate or anything sweetened with xylitol, but we will always be on the lookout for goodies. This is not good. We can end up at the vet with vomiting, diarrhea and even Pancreatitis due to fatty treats such as turkey, bones and other foods from the table.
I love having a stocking of my own but please make sure to find toys for me that are good for my chewing style. A Chihuahua like me may be very happy with a small stuffed toy, but your Labrador may have it chewed and ingested within minutes. So make sure their toys are as “tough” as they are!
Many of our favorite holiday plants such as Poinsettia, Holly & Mistletoe, when ingested, can cause us pets to suffer nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. If your pet likes to chew on your house plants, you may want to opt for artificial holiday plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.
Don't leave lighted candles unattended. I could burn myself or cause a fire if I accidentally knock candles over. Be sure to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And if you leave the room, put the candle out!
Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of my reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to my mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage my mouth and feet.
If you’re planning a holiday party and have a shy pet in your home, give them a safe, quiet place to stay away from the crowds. Even the most social pet can become overwhelmed with a big noisy crowd.
Wow that’s a lot to remember! But it’s important to keep me safe and happy over the holidays! Have a safe and Happy Holiday! Check out all the fun things happening at Bayside at www.baysidepetresort.com