Nonprofit shop will host two back-to-school events, starting Saturday.
The first is the Hunger's Not A Game event, Saturday where you can drop off food for the Mayors' Feed The Hungry food bank program at The Coffee Loft and be entered in for a chance to win the Hunger Games DVD that will be released Saturday or a Hunger Games book. It's happening all day. The Coffee Loft is open 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturday.
Mayors' Feed The Hungry benefits both Sarasota and Manatee county food banks.
The second event is geared for the college crowd and is called The Brew. The event features the newest art, food and music at The Coffee Loft from 5 to 10 p.m., Sept. 14.
There is no charge for admission for both events.
2. A new arts magazine is coming to Sarasota. WHOA magazine will relocate to Sarasota and is throwing a party to celebrate. WHOA stands for What's Happening with Original Artists. In addition to the magazine, WHOA has a website that includes a radio station, too. The magazine is published by Lisa Caruso and Anthony "Train" Caruso.
The party will be at 9 p.m. Saturday at . Validated parking is available in the Hollywood 20 garage.
3. The third annual Sarasota Beer Festival is this weekend! It'll run from 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday at . Advance tickets cost $25, $30 online or $35 at the gate. The admission gets you free unlimited beer samples, menu samples and live music. Either buy tickets at www.floridabeerfestivals.com or at World of Beer; ; ; ; (4 locations); - Bradenton; (). Must be 21 with ID. No strollers, no pets.
4. The Fabulous Independent Film Festival is this weekend at .
The second annual festival runs Saturday and Sunday with 12 films and three parties celebrating diversity in the LGBT community. In association with the , a nonprofit organization, the festival is organized by broken rules productions. Tickets are $8, opening and closing night films are $10, now available on www.fabulousiff.com and at Burns Court Cinemas on the days of the festival.
• Pre-party Fundraiser for the Fabulous IFF and the Harvey Milk Festival 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Friday at $3 cover when Fab IFF is mentioned,
• Opening Night Party at from 9:15 p.m. to midnight, Saturday
• Closing Night Reception at , 9:15 to 11 p.m., Sunday
For more information, visit the .
5. The Marauders are back in Bradenton for the weekend. Thursday is Thirsty Thursday where sodas and select draft beer are $1. Plus, the first 500 fans receive a pink or blue Marauders T-shirt. The Marauders take on the Charlotte Stone Crabs Thursday then play the Jupiter Hammerheads Friday through Sunday at home. For more information and for tickets, visit the Marauders website.