Located on the upper end of Main Street directly across from the is . Mediterraneo occupies the northeast corner of the historic Crisp building, (National Register of Historic Places), and is also home to one of Sarasota’s largest outdoor murals created by Skip Dyrda. This mural, along with a small courtyard, adds to the charm of the area, not to mention the outdoor seating!
Although not large, this cozy, comfortable restaurant offers four venues for dining: the aforementioned outdoor “al fresco”, the casually oriented lounge, the white table clothed main dining room, and the more private back room. Regardless of where you choose to sit, the menu options are all the same.
With an emphasis on contemporary Northern Italian cuisine, Mediterraneo’s menu offers a wide variety of choice in foods and in price. For our meals we chose the following:
- Cesare Salad: Romaine, Caesar dressing, croutons, and parmesan cheese. $8.50
Very nice presentation, large, fresh, well dressed with lots of shaved parmesan cheese
- Tropicale Salad: Arugola, hearts of palm, avocado and parmesan. $8.95
Delicious, fresh, ample size, great flavors.
- Mista della Casa: Mixed baby greens, with carrots and tomatoes. $5.95
Great side salad, fresh, just the “right” size
- Pomodori: Tomatoes, onions, romaine and gorgonzola. $6.50
Fresh and colorful, a nice combination of flavors.
- Costolettadi vitello alla Milanese con rucolae pomodori: Pounded and breaded veal chop topped with arugula and tomatoes $31.95
A signature “bone-in” presentation of tender, lightly bread, pan fired veal smothered in arugula and tomatoes. Warm tender, sweet and cool. A Great combination! In fact my mouth waters just writing about the experience.
- Pizza Margherita: Tomato, mozzarella and basil $9.95
A perfectly prepared wood fired pizza. A classic.
- Pizza Miki: Fresh tomato, bufala mozzarella, arugula, prosciutto $12.95
Wood burning oven, very thin crust, delicious combination of flavors
- Special White Pizza: Mozzarella cheese, gorgonzola cheese, apples, pears, walnuts and honey. $13.95
Thin, crispy, wood fired crust, sweet and tangy, delicious, a work of art.
- Capricciousa: Tomato, mozzarella, ham, artichokes, mushrooms $10.95
A great combination of flavors, with paper thin crust!
Mediterraneo offers wine, beer and soft drinks to accompany your meal. At dinner, a complimentary bruschetta accompanies the bread service. Service is prompt, attentive, friendly, and efficient.
Entrees are priced between $19.50-31.95; (a bit pricey) however, if you are looking for a more casual meal, there is a large selection of wood oven fired pizzas ranging in price from $13-15. As you may have concluded from our selections above, Mediterraneo has become our “go to” place for pizza and a salad!
If your plans call for dinner and a movie, agreeing on place for dinner is easy; Mediterraneo of course; agreeing on a movie might be more difficult.
1970 Main Street
Sarasota, FL 34236