When Chef Richard introduced Puccini’s to Sarasota a little more than a year and a half ago, his concept was simply elegant; offer the freshest ingredients, superbly prepared, in a casual yet romantic setting. Puccini’s does just that.
Upon arrival our first impression was “yet again another Florida strip mall eatery.” However, one step inside and all preconceived thoughts of a strip mall dining disappeared. Ceiling’s draped in fabric, opera music playing in the background, small cozy tables, candle lit ambience, an open aired kitchen, and a warm friendly greeting made for a remarkable transformation. The stage was set.
Puccini’s specializes in fresh, made to order dishes. Therefore, the menu is limited and changes frequently. For our meals we chose the following:
- Insalata: Very ample sized salad. $7.00
- Lots of fresh greens, some cucumbers, lightly dressed...the way I like it.
- Mussels in a Tomato Basil Broth: $7.00
- Fresh, plump and tender
- Fettucini Puccini: Shrimp and scallops in a herb sauce $14.00
- Fresh fish, with al dente pasta, very nice
- Swordfish with Caper Sauce: served with yellow squash and rice. $24.00
- Squash done perfectly, not mushy, swordfish fresh, moist and tasty
- Grilled Eggplant: Grilled eggplant with tomato sauce, prosciutto and mozzarella $12.00
- Salty, sweet combo, a very tasty and unique version of an “eggplant parm”
- Veal Picata: Lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper, served over a crostini $25.00
- Tender medallions of veal, moist and flavorful, a classic.
- Salmon with Lemon Garlic: Sautéed filet of salmon $22.00
- Fresh, well prepared fish, moist with subtle flavors
With large crusty loaves sitting in a basket in the open air kitchen, the bread service is better than most. The wait staff is attentive, friendly and efficient. Since the kitchen is small, and Chef Richard is the only one preparing the food, the wait for your entrees might be longer than anticipated but certainly acceptable.
Since Puccini’s does not have a liquor license, it is a B.Y.O.B. restaurant; so bring your own bottle of wine and let Chef Richard take care of the food. Mangia!
7252 South Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, FL 34231