With temperatures nearing 100 all across America, everyone is looking for ways to keep cool this Summer. Don't forget that it's even more difficult for our four legged friends to stay cool! Here are some tips from Marilee Namaka, the General Manager of the new in Sarasota. For more info on grooming, lodging or doggy/cat daycare, check out www.baysidepetresort.com
Tips for Keeping Your Dogs Cool This Summer!
• Limit your pets’ outdoor activities during the hottest part of the day.
• Make sure your pets always have fresh, clean water at all times.
• If you are thinking about taking your pet to a special outdoor ever, take in to consideration the time you’ll be spending outdoors and the type of surfaces your dog will be walking on. Concrete and asphalt can get very hot and burn the pads of your dogs’ feet from prolonged exposure.
• Pools are a great way to keep your dog cool outdoors. Small children’s pools are perfect for dogs to splash around in and even lay down for a soak. Keep the pools in a shady area and change the water frequently. Just remember to supervise your pets around water, especially in large family pools.
• Dog with thin hair coats and/or white skin can sunburn easily. Make sure you limit the sun exposure for those pets.
• Certain breeds with thick hair coats and breeds such as boxers, pugs and bulldogs are more susceptible to the heat and may take a longer time cooling off.
• There are a lot of products available to help your pets during the summer months. Cooling mats, vests and collars are made to keep pets cool. Misting systems, shade cloth and fans can also help keep outdoor areas several degrees cooler.
• Most importantly, keep a close eye on your pet during outdoor activities and call your veterinarian immediately if you think your pet may be suffering from heat stroke or heat exhaustion.
Keep Cool and Have a Great Summer! ~Bayside Pet Resort & Spa Staff