Memorial Day weekend is the first real road trip holiday of the year, and it's time to embrace it and get out.
1. Indulge in Cuban sandwiches until your tummy bursts at the Cuban Sandwich Festival , 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Centennial Park, 1800 E. Eighth Ave., Tampa. Event also includes a kids' zone, dance and music. Admission is free.
2. Thinking theme parks? The LEGOLAND Water Park opens Saturday at LEGOLAND Florida in Winter Haven where you can even build a raft to float in out of Legos! A combo ticket for the water park and the regular LEGOLAND costs $87 for 13 years old and up, $77 for 3-12 years old and $3 for 1 to 3 years old.
Universal Orlando Resort is also giving Florida residents a deal — two day, two-park ticket with a third day free for $99 (excludes Wet 'n Wild). Purchase by May 31 and use by June 30.
3. Grill, rock and chill at the 97X Backyard BBQ 11 a.m. Saturday in Vinoy Park in St. Pete. Bands included The Used, Middle Class Rut, Foxy Shazam and more. The concert is free but you must have a ticket, which the radio station lists locations on its website.
4. If you're up for a weekend drive, head up to Palatka for the Blue Crab Festival running from Friday through Monday. Tons of crabs, bands, vendors, arts, crafts and even $10 helicopter rides. A seafood cook-off will be held 10 a.m. Saturday. The site recommends you plug in 210 St Johns Avenue Palatka, FL 32177 into your GPS to get to the festival.
5. Miss the Patch RV? The this weekend, including the grand finale event Saturday at the Suncoast Primate Sanctuary from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Palm Harbor Patch celebrates its 1st birthday with Pongo, Joey and the rest of our Suncoast primate pals. We'll have cake for everyone and activity stations for the kids and a ton of giveaways. Patch is also paying admission for anyone with a Palm Harbor address on his or her driver's license (After all, we wouldn't do what we do if we didn't have you!) Otherwise it's $10 for adults, $5 for children 3 to 10 years old and free for kids younger than 3. Closed-toe shoes are recommended.