1.) Mote Aquarium remains open for visitors 365 days a year, including Christmas and New Year's Day. Hours are 10-5 daily. Admission is $17 for adults, $16 for seniors and $12 for kids ages 4-12. Mote Members get in FREE!
2.) Starbucks: Your favorite neighborhood chain coffee house will have limited hours at some locations.
- 5191 Clark Rd; phone 941-921-0506. 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- 1401 1st Ave., 941-955-0273. 7 a.m.-4 p.m.
- 1375 S Tamiami Trail. 941-952-9912. 24 hours.
- 3571 Bee Ridge Road. 941-924-7200. 6 a.m.-8 p.m.
3.) Christmas Dinner Anyone?: If you burned the turkey or are not planning a big to-do dinner, consider Cafe L’Europe, which is open from noon to 9 p.m. for a three-course dinner. If you're an early bird, arriving between noon and 4 p.m., you'll get a free bottle of wine or cocktail with the purchase of two entrees. Now that's a deal.
4.) Last-Minute Purchases: CVS will be open Christams Day, but don't expect to fill a Rx at most stores.
- 2773 Fruitville Rd., Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; pharmacy closed.
- 3800 South Tamiami Trail. 24 hours; pharmacy closed.
- 3709 N. Tamiami Trail. 10 a.m.-8 p.m. pharmacy closed.
5.) Movie Day: Christmas Day actually is a big movie day, with many new flicks opening Dec. 25. The AMC Sarasota 12 Theaters have a slate of big-name movies: "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," "Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol," "The Adventures of TinTin," in traditional and 3D format.