1. The meets this afternoon at the county admin building. The group, which scrapped its "Festival of Firsts" idea at the last meeting, said it is closer to presenting a business plan to the Sarasota Board of County Commissioners later this Spring.
2. . An organization called the Take Over is creating a day-long youth culture festival centered around hip-hop. The event takes place April 23 and will include street art, break dancing and a late-night concert with top-40 artist Trick Daddy.
3. Sarasota Patch will be at today for the celebration of the 22nd annual National African American Read-In. More than 30 volunteers, including leaders from community organizations, local governments and the school district, will participate in the event by reading to students. The featured books were written and/or illustrated by African Americans.
4. Two Cardinal Mooney students placed in a at the Van Wezel. Hannah Roddenberry, a senior, won first place with her speech on “Homelessness in America.” Tom Scheip, also a senior, took second place with “Media Manipulation.”
5. There will be a community workshop tonight to discuss the . The city is taking the steps necessary to prepare the site for future development by allowing the solicitation process to begin for the site.The meeting will be at 5:30pm at the North Sarasota Library, 2801 Newtown Blvd.