1. You just thought Ed Smith Stadium was for Orioles Spring Training, right?
Well there is still baseball to be played in Sarasota. As the Gulf Coast League finished up earlier this summer, it's time for the Fall Instructional League to take the field, starting Sunday when they face Canada.
The games are free and open to the public; the season ends Oct. 11.
The Instructional League program focuses on specific individual development while providing additional playing time to accelerate a player’s progress through the minor league system.
Games are played on the Main Field, with parking available in the East Lot at no charge. Fans may enter the ballpark through the East Gate. The full Instructional League season schedule is available online atwww.orioles.com/sarasota.
2. Before that at Ed Smith Stadium is the Walk For The Kids on Saturday starting at 8 a.m.
The walk's goal is to raise awareness about providing safe places for kids to spend their time, such as the Boys and Girls Clubs of America.
Entry costs $25 for the walk; free for children younger than 18 years old. You can sponsor, donate or join the walk at www.walkforthekids.com.
From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., all sorts of free games and activities will take place for families and kids in the area.
3. Go get your pioneer on or act like you're reliving the Little House on the Praire TV series by attending a class at Folk School hosted at . All sorts of classes are offered from building an American Indian pump drill to making an American Indian medicine bag, or join a Storytelling Concert.
Crowley is offering a 50 percent off incentive to anyone who registers for classes taking place from Saturday, Sept. 15 to Sunday, Sept. 30.
4. Make sure to stop by geared toward the college crowd. It features food samplings, student art, music and your friendly Patch editor who has giveaways and wishes he was still living the college life.
5. will host a benefit Friday night for Sarasota Ballet from 7 to 9 p.m. Features drinks, appetizers, special sales, hair styling and a raffle for a Fiat 500. To reserve your spot, call 941-364-3337 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.