1. Friday night is when the Gulf Coast League Orioles take on the Gulf Coast League Rays. The rookie league game is free and starts at 7 p.m. — the only night game of the season.
“We know that many families and working adults are unable to attend the day games that are typical of the Gulf Coast League schedule,” said Laura Williams, Orioles Director of Florida Operations. “This night game is a wonderful opportunity to welcome fans into Sarasota County’s jewel of a ballpark and provide an affordable, family-friendly outing.”
The East Gate opens to fans at 6 p.m. with free parking in the East Lot, located at the corner of 12th Street and Tuttle Avenue. Concessions will be available for purchase, but fans may bring in their own refreshments, with the exception of alcohol. Hard-sided coolers, thermoses, glass bottles and cans may not be carried into .
2. Comedian Caroline Rhea will play four shows at this weekend. You know Rhea from The Biggest Loser, WB'sSabrina The Teenage Witch, The Caroline Rhea Show and more. Shows are 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 7:30 p.m. Sunday and 9:15 p.m. Saturday. Tickets cost $19 and $23 and there is a two purchase minimum in the showroom.
3. Look up at the sky Saturday night. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a super duper awesome meteor shower! The will peak Saturday night into Sunday morning. Let's hope the clouds cooperate that night.
If you snap a great photo of the shower, !
4. On Saturday., Newtown will have its annual free community cleanup from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Dumpsters will be provided at three intersections:
- Newtown Estates Park and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Way.
- Chilk Avenue and 19th Street
- 23rd Street and Chester Avenue
At the intersection sites, residents can dispose of most household items, yard waste, tree trimmings and other garbage or refuse. Sarasota County employees will be available at each site to offer assistance.
During the Newtown cleanup, residents can bring hazardous materials such as electronics, televisions and computers to the Newtown Estates Recreation Center, 2800 Newtown Blvd., Sarasota.
5. The third annual Sarasota Beer Festival is coming soon! It'll run from 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18 at . Advance tickets cost $25, $30 online or $35 at the gate. The admission gets you free unlimited beer samples, menu samples and live music. Either buy tickets at www.floridabeerfestivals.com or at World of Beer; ; ; ; (4 locations); - Bradenton; (). Must be 21 with ID. No strollers, no pets.