1. Celebrate World Oceans Day at a family festival at on Saturday.
Mote’s World Oceans Day event, presented by IKEA, will feature the Dr. Seuss Theme “Oceans of Inspiration” to spotlight the ocean's deep connection to the human spirit and the boundless inspirational power of our oceans.
The event runs from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 2, at the aquarium. The festival is free with admission to Mote Aquarium. Admission is $17 for adults, $16 for seniors over 65, $12 for kids ages 4-12 and free for ages 3 and younger. Mote Members always get in free.
World Oceans Day, officially celebrated on June 8, was created in 1992 at the Earth Summit and declared a holiday by the United Nations in 2009.
This year’s event will feature games and crafts focused on green practices, marine science and conservation by Mote and other local organizations.
Participating organizations will include: Longboat Key Turtle Watch, Sarasota Bay Estuary Program, Sarasota Bay Watch, Manatee County Natural Resources Department, The Sarasota YMCA, Stow It-Don't Throw It, Mote's High School Alumni Program, Mote's Education Division,Tampa Bay Watch, Girl Scouts of Gulfcoast Florida, Inc. and Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Sun Coast.
2. Rock out downtown Saturday night for a good cause. The Joyful Noise Music Festival is getting ready for its first-ever concert Saturday from 6 to 11 p.m. The concert benefits Second Chance-Last Opportunity.
The free concert will on Lemon Avenue between Main and First streets.
Here's who will perform:
3. Hang out at the Ca' d'Zan during Ringling by the Bay tonight.
It's part of the Art After 5 program (and free with the program's discounted admission) and runs from 5 to 8 p.m. Live music this week is soulRcoaster.
Cost is $10 for adults, $5 for children and members are free. A cash bar and food will be provided by Treviso.
4. Friday, June 1 means it's Live! from Downtown from the Downtown Sarasota Alliance. This week's edition will be on Palm Avenue, Main Street, First Street and Whole Foods Market Center from 6 to 9 p.m. for special shopping, dining and live entertainment.
5. Go for a in your backyard from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday, June 2. Urfer Family Park, 4000 Honore Ave., is hosting a free, two hour nature walk through the park where hikers will learn nature photography tips, walking through the 1 1/2 mile trail and even walk through a cattle pasture with a windmill in the middle of Sarasota. To register, contact Lynda Eppinger at email@example.com or call 941-861-5000.